Wednesday, January 20, 2010

An earful


Mr. Squab and I both had chronic ear infections as children. When I was three I even had my adenoids taken out, and I think I had tubes in my ears more than once. So I just sort of assumed that our kids would be equally susceptible, and was pleasantly surprised when the Hatchling made it through the first three years of her life with only two mild ear infections to show for it.

Then we had the Sprout, and the Hatchling started preschool, and I don't know if either of those facts are relevant, but LORD, we cannot escape the ear infections this year. If it's not one kid, it's the other, and often both at the same time, and while the Sprout just gets kind of cranky and doesn't sleep well with hers, the Hatchling just completely disintegrates. She won't show the first sign of being ill until the pain is so bad she can't cope, and then she has a complete and total meltdown. The first time it happened was on a weekend, so the Hatchling was able to parasitically attach herself to me until the antibiotics kicked in. This time, no such luck. She started melting down yesterday afternoon and kept pathetically asking me to "sit wight here and snuggle wif me," which I mostly could not do because the Sprout is, you know, a BABY, and has not yet mastered the art of self-entertainment.

But the real pathos kicked in today. After an early doctor's appointment this morning, we went to Target to fill her prescriptions. She immediately requested to ride in the cart (unusual); did not want to get out to peruse the toy section (uncommon); did not want to get a treat while the prescription was getting filled (unprecedented); did not want to get McDonald's for lunch (unheard of); and then ASKED to go "night-night" at 11:45 am, after only about 15 minutes of Return of the Jedi (completely wackadoo). She didn't even stir when I went in to put the Sprout down for her nap a few minutes ago. She is, in fact, a pathetic specimen of a Hatchling, and I wish we could win the lottery or something so we *could* both be home and I *could* just hang out with her in the rocking chair all day. (Also, because: LOTTERY! FREE MONEY!) But alas, that winning ticket eludes us and I can only be thankful that she's passed out in her bed and not wailing for me to comfort her while I'm trying to change the baby's diaper. Speaking of which, I believe I'll go try to pass out on my own bed for a few minutes while both kids are unconscious. Here's hoping those antibiotics kick in soon!